Friday, August 28, 2009

SQL Reporting Services 2008 Upgrade – The Call To Microsoft

I recently submitted an article to SQLServerCentral about my adventures in upgrading my existing SSRS 2005 instance to 2008.  In the article I described the steps taken to successfully upgrade a 2005 instance to 2008.  My initial attempt, which I spoke about in the article, was a cut and dry upgrade.  The entire process was Point, Click and Go.  That wasn’t the case when I attempted the upgrade on our actual Development Web Server that hosts our Reporting Services instance.  Towards the end of the install I received the following error:

clip_image002[7]

Fortunately we have Premier Support with Microsoft.  I called Microsoft around 9 AM CST, and after about 5 hours of digging through the install logs the Support Engineer solved the problems.  I just have to say, hats off to the engineer, she did an excellent job.  So, I decided to give it another shot on another server.  I, of course, received the same error.  Unfortunately, I hadn’t received the summary of work from the engineer and as a result I was back in the same place, stuck.  I had written down a few steps and decided to give them a try.  I did receive this error before according to my notes and the only thing that needed to be done was restart the install, choose the Maintenance Option and run a repair.  Once the repair was complete I was able to finalize the installation and everything was up and running.  Thanks Microsoft Support.

Talk to you soon

Patrick LeBlanc, Founder TSQLScripts.com and the SQLLunch

SQL Down South

No comments:

Post a Comment