Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August SQL Server User Group – Near Real-time Data Warehouse

Well we had a really good meeting this week at our User Group.  There were about 17 physical attendees and 5 virtual attendees.  I spoke on the Near Real-time Data Warehouse.  This is the second time that I have given this talk.  Most of the attendees were very familiar with the concept of warehousing.  However, only a few were actually involved with designing and managing data warehouses. 


There were several questions about why do we need a Near Real-time data warehouse.  I ask the question myself every day.  Especially when there are problems, but the short answer is because our Operational Database is highly normalized some may even call it an Object-Oriented database.  Nevertheless, reporting on it is a nightmare for our Report Developers. 


I attempted to record the meeting with Community Clips from Microsoft, instead of the built in Live Meeting Recorder.  However, when I changed from my PowerPoint slides to Management Studio the recording fell apart.  The worst part is that I did not realize it until I tried to watch the video later that evening.  Probably should have done a little more testing before I decided to completely abandon the live meeting recording feature.  I am going to give it another try, but on a shorter presentation.


If you are interested in attending our User Group Meeting Virtually, please send me an email at pleblanc@tsqlscripts.com.

Talk to you soon
Patrick LeBlanc, founder TSQLScripts.com
SQL Down South

No comments:

Post a Comment