Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why do I contribute to the SQL Server Community?

As an active speaker and volunteer in the SQL Server community I am often asked why do I do it?  Sometimes, I actually ask myself that question, but when I think about how the community as a whole operates (quick to answer questions and join discussions) any doubt is quickly removed.  Think about this, in what community can you post a question on twitter or send an email to someone you met at a community event and before you know it, you have several responses to your question.  I became active in the community almost three years ago and I was embraced (not physically, well maybe by a couple) by several people who I considered to be some the of the top SQL Server professionals in the community.  So why not give back?  If I had to list the TOP (5) reasons as to why I do it, it would hard for me to narrow it down.  Fortunately, I am always up to a challenge so here are my TOP 5 reasons:

1.  Contributing to the community, continually increases my knowledge about SQL Server and all of it's components.

2.  Allows me to meet a bunch of really talented SQL Server professionals.  Networking, Networking, Networking....

3.  Can't forget about job opportunities, because I landed my current job with Pragmatic Works at a SQL Saturday event where I was speaking.

4.  Allows me to travel to places that I have never been (a selfish reason) ;).

5.  Honestly, I enjoy it.

So why do you contribute?  Write your own blog post and share it with the community.

Talk to you soon,

Patrick LeBlanc, SQL Server MVP, MCTS, Founder SQL Lunch

Visit www.BIDN.com, Bring Business Intelligence to your company.

No comments:

Post a Comment