Wednesday, July 28, 2010

2010 3rd Quarter Goals

Now that we are into the third quarter of 2010 I decided to post an update of my 2nd quarter goals and post goals for the 3rd quarter.  If you all have been following my blog or me on twitter (patrickdba) you know that I was selected as a SQL Server MVP for the first time this year and that the SQL Lunch is doing great.  I am really excited about both and I can't wait for you all to see the great Lunches that are coming up in the next few months.  So now onto my goals. 

In the second quarter I met all of my goals with the exception of Submitting 2 videos to SQL Share.  I have decided to push that to the top of my list of priorities and I have also increased the number of videos to 6.  This is to make up for my lack luster performance regarding this goal in the first two quarters.  So goal number 1 is:

1.  Submit 6 videos to SQL Share.  This may seem like a big commitment, but I already have the topics ready to go.  I think I can do it.

Since I have been working for Pragmatic Works a goal of mine is to learn everything I can about SSAS.  A big part of SSAS is MDX.  Again if you have been following my blog you will know that I have a series of MDX puzzles.  So goal number 2 is:

2.  Learn MDX, Learn MDX, Learn MDX.

The first two will take up a large part of this quarter.  In the last quarter a lot of my time was spent writing a book(Knight's Microsoft Business Intelligence 24 Hour Trainer) and speaking.  I always set a goal to speak at least three times a quarter. Well in the second quarter of this year I spoke 13 times.  When I went through the list I could not believe it, but I did.  This quarter I have given five presentations.  I have about 3 more scheduled, and I will be speaking on the SQL Lunch in August.  Not quite sure I should make this a goal since I have already met it, but I will add it anyway:

3.  Speak at least three times.

Now, back to the book.  The book was a challenge, not really a goal, but definitely an accomplishment.  I hope to write another one real soon.  I am a co-author along with Brian Knight, Devin, Knight, Mike Davis and Adam Jorgensen.  If you are getting started with Business Intelligence check it out.  Again, back to the goals.  It was a challenge to write a couple of articles while writing the book at the same time, but I did get it completed.  I wrote exactly two articles, which was the goal for the 2nd quarter.  I have removed the article writing as a goal.  I am working on a few other things that will take up some time and I felt this could take a break for now.

The final three goals are as follows:

4.  Schedule SQL Lunches for the remainder of the quarter, which I have done.  I will be posting them within the next couple of days.

5.  Blog at least twice a week, which thanks to Steven Jones, I have been doing.  Every we talk he talks about consistency.  I have actually given a short presentation on speaking and blogging.  I am working on making it a full hour presentation.

6.  Submit three abstracts to the PASS conference.  I did submit three and two were declined and one was selected as an alternate.

All three of these were goals for quarter number two and I succeeded.  This was a really good quarter for me.  For the third quarter I have added a few new goals:

7.  Network and meet as many people as a I can.  So, if you plan on attending PASS or any of the SQL Saturdays in my region you may just happen to run into me shaking hands like a politician.  :)

8.  Add more functionality to the SQL Lunch website. (Searching, Speaker Pages, etc...)

8.  Become a more active PASS member by volunteering more.

The second half of this year is going to be busy with SQL Saturday #28 in Baton Rouge, PASS and a couple of more surprises that I will announce later in the month.  Stay tuned.

Talk to you soon,

Patrick LeBlanc, SQL Server MVP, MCTS

Founder www.TSQLScripts.com and www.SQLLunch.com.

Visit www.BIDN.com, Bring Business Intelligence to your company.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Now Patrick,

    Nice Post! I like the list

    Thx 4 the info,
    catto

    ReplyDelete