Monday, September 14, 2009

Windows Internal Database

This past Friday I received a call from our systems team stating that they were running low on Disk Space on a SQL Server server that their team used for Share Point.  He stated that there was an .LDF file that was really large, and could he just delete it.  Yeah, I said jokingly, but quickly retracted the statement because he was on his way.  I knew that the offending databases recovery model was set to Full and that they were not backing up the Transaction Log.

After getting a little information about the system, I determined that I could change the recover model to simple.  I logged into the machine to find the SQL Server instance name.  To my surprise I did not see a SQL Server running on the box.  I did however notice that a Windows Internal Database service was running as a Service on the Machine:

 

image

I immediately did a web search (Windows Internal Database), which resulted in several great listings.  I am not going to repeat what the articles stated, but I am going to provide a great link from MSSQLTips.com that helped me solve my problem.

Administering your Windows Internal Databases (Microsoft##SSEE) instance.

I installed SSMS Express, connected to the instance and changed the recovery model to Simple, problem solved.

Talk to you soon

Patrick LeBlanc, found TSQLScripts.com and SQLLunch

SQL Down South.

No comments:

Post a Comment