Wednesday, September 9, 2009

SQL Server 7.0 – Transaction Log Not Backing Up

I have not worked with SQL Server 7.0 in a loooong time.  So when I received a call from a client complaining about their Transaction Logs not backing up, I was stuck for a few minutes.  My initial thought was check the recovery model, but as I jogged my memory about recovery models I remembered that they were a new feature introduced in SQL Server 2000.  I did on the other hand, remember that SQL Server 7.0 did have an option, Truncate log on checkpoint, that would prevent Backing up the Transaction Log.  See the image below:

 

image

 

After my brief walk down memory lane, I asked the client to check this and as expected it was enabled.  Once they disable the option, the backups began to work.  So for all of you out there that are still using SQL Server 7.0 here is something for you.

Talk to you soon

Patrick LeBlanc, founder TSQLScripts.com and SQL Lunch

SQL Down South

No comments:

Post a Comment