I know it’s kind of late to write a review of my first quarter goals, since we are well into the second quart of 2010. However, I did state in my blog post earlier this year, 2010 1st Quarter Goals, that I would keep you all abreast of my progress. So, how did it do? Unfortunately, I failed miserably on a few goals, but, on the other hand,I exceeded my expectations on others. Here is the list from my initial post with a few comments about my progress:
1. Learn everything I can about SQL Server Analysis Server – I have been on several engagements since my posting and I have to say that my SSAS skills have definitely improved. MDX is still somewhat of a challenge, but I am working on it.
2. Two blog postings per week - Yeah right. In the first quarter I posted 22 blogs, which is pretty close to two, but there wasn’t any consistency to my posts. This is something I am really going to work hard at improving.
3. Publish two articles – I did publish two articles on www.BIDN.com. If you would like to give them a read, here they are:
I was able to speak at four events, speaking at 5 sessions. The sessions are as follows:
Tampa Bay SQL Saturday – SQL Server Backup and Data Compression 101
Tampa Bay SQL Saturday – Iron Chef Data Warehouse
SQL Lunch Webcast – Introduction to Partitioning
Pragmatic Works February SQL Server 101 Series – Beginning T-SQL
Charlotte SQL Saturday - SQL Server Backup and Data Compression 101
5. Schedule SQL Lunch speakers for the rest of the year (at least 2 per month) – This I found was a very optimistic goal. I have decided to scale it back to finding speakers for each quarter. So if you want to speak please send an email to email@example.com.
6. Submit 2 videos to SQL Share – Unfortunately, I did not get around to recording one video for SQL Share, but I have two topics that are ready to go and I will get them submitted before the second quarter of 2010 is over.
7. Submit an abstract to SQL Server Standard (Grant Fritchey) – This item has been removed from my list until further notice. I have be asked to participate in a few larger writing commitments that really monopolize a lot of my free time. Once I have completed those obligations I will reevaluate and I try to get an abstract submitted.
As I stated in my first Goals post, my goals tend to change as the year progresses. With the exception of number 7 in the above list of the items, all of the goals will remain for the Second quarter of 2010. I have already fallen behind in regards to my blog posts. Therefore the goal is not to post twice a week, that goal has been modified to post at least once a week on a consistent basis. In addition to that modification I have added one item to the list and it is as follows:
Submit three abstracts to the PASS conference.
Maybe I will get selected. Either way I plan on attending and I look forward to meeting many of you there.
Talk to you soon,
Patrick LeBlanc, MCTS
Visit www.BIDN.com, Bring Business Intelligence to your company.